Monday, November 16, 2009

Questions: Nite Sites, Registration & Close the damn door!

Wow! I am blessed with some great trainees and they are highly intelligent too. The exact opposite or antithesis of the gun totin' redneck trailer trash beer guzzlin' guacamole eatin' Cowboys and Caowgirls the media portrays us as. And aren't y'all supposed to be bloodthirsty? What's goin' on?

Today I looked at the emails and questions you've sent and the feed back. Please let me know what your thoughts are. All of you. It will make me a better and more effective instructor.

I got a bunch of questions today and BTW if you have email addresses of folks who trained with you please get them to me if you can or feel free to forward these emails or print em. I'm good to go on all that. Give them to any friends and family who are shooters or nay sayers. Educating is the best way to make converts not trying to ram it down their throats. Education = enlightenment for the timid and the ignorant.

For my trainees please understand that as far as your instructor is concerned; I understand that carrying a weapon is not for everyone. That is not a problem. Crime on the other hand concerns everyone and can affect anyone at any time. Self defense... first word in the term is SELF.  It's your responsibility. It's our responsibility. Do you know that the police and all law enforcement have no duty to protect you or I? That's right. They may swear to it and it may be a saying on the cars but they have no duty to do it. If your family members or friends have grandpa's shotgun for home defense offer your insight and safety knowledge to them or have contact me. It won't cost them anything but time and as I say just might save their lives.

I will answer as many question as I can and I promise that eventually I'll get em all. Some of you know me well enough that my memory runs in the "CRS" category sometimes. No not the "can't remember s**t group. I like to say "can remember sometimes> covers me. So please don't get offended. I'll get to it. As it is I'm playing catch up with y'all since my DPS re-certification.

QUESTIONS

1. "Will there be gun control, registration or what?"    Great question. Comes up all the time. Do you remember that form that you and I have to fill out when we bought our weapons? Who did it go to? BATFE is who. The U.S Government Bureau of Alcohol-Tobacco-Firearms and Explosives and it never goes away so you tell me if there's registration. Gun control I have already taught you. "See the front sight." That is gun control, one round at a time or what(?)ever.

2. "What are Nite sites also spelled Night sights?" They are sights that have small tubes of radioactive material in the place where they are usually black or have white dots etc' They glow in the dark BRIGHTLY. They have a variable shelf/working life that is about ten to thirteen years. They are invaluable and are available as direct replacements for your factory sights without voiding warranties. Most quality shops have them and install them. Drop em off and you can usually wait or get them later the same day. They are worth every penny. Get them. They are available for most handguns and other platforms ( rifle, AR, shotguns etc.. Revolvers are only slightly limited due to structural consideration so have revolver sights installed by a gunsmith. If you need info on where holler at me. BTW the material is Tritium>

3. "What TV shows or video or printed material do you know is available for me as a trainee that you can recommend?"   Funny you should ask. I was just about to send out that info without being asked so that is a great one. The "all new" Sportsman Channel" 131 Comcast has a few shows that are very informative and I stumbled across it a couple weeks ago so I don't have scheduling down totally yet. They ron three shows on Thursday nights from eight pm on called Tactical Arms,Personal Defense T.V., Tactical Impact and at other times I'm not sure of there is Guns & Ammo tv  check them out they are not too bad. I actually know one of the instructors. DVDs are available from Thunder Ranch and I use them in classes I swear by them. Sig has two you can find on their website and BTW anything you can't find can be Googled. I personally read American Handgunner magazine () and have for years. A great source of info and like Clint Smiths Thunder Ranch videos is full of good true stuff and common sense material.  I'll tell you one everybody should watch for the amount of bulls**t that goes on. It's called Lock and Load on channel 475 on Comcast at various times. This is not to be confused wit Lock N Load with R. Lee Ermey on the History Channel (58  Comcast) which is very good and technical in a minor way. The show on 475 is set at a gun store in Colorado and will PISS YOU OFF! Guns pointed everywhere, bad information, worse safety as a matter of fact last nite there was not one mention of safety in the entire program. You tell me what it makes those of us safety conscious shooters look like. The range shots are some of the most maddening crap you'll ever see. The salesman is living proof of why some people just Need shootin.  The show is a lawsuit in waiting for Showtime and personally I can't wait but for the fact that someone might get injured in the process Heaven forbid.

4. "What alternatives do I have for defense?" Simply? Use your imagination. Pepper or OC spray but remember in a house or car you're gonna be just about as affected as the crook. Tasers are legal to own in Texas and other states and run in the three hundred dollar range or slightly less. steel bodied flashlights, knives, bats, garden and kitchen implements, are contact weapons which means the crook is in contact range and when you get blood or tissue on an knife it's damn bout impossible to hang on to. Improvise. Keys between your index and middle fingers in your fist to the neck and eyes or face, Pens , cologne to the eyes again. A good swift kick to the nuts, purse to the head and balls or knees finger gouging thrown coffee or coke , all with screaming accompaniment. If you're in that kind of fight screw the worries about bodily fluid. Punch scratch,kick, gouge and bite the sh*t out of em. You can live with the bodily fluid exchange key word LIVE. If they try to get you in your car don't do it. Do everything you can to draw attention to yourself but better to die where you stand fighting than to be dragged off and face that. Same if they try to force you into another vehicle. The latest national and regional statistics on crime show that home invasions have doubled and assaults both aggravated and sexual against persons are up dramatically and resulting injuries are up proportionately. Interestingly home invasions are being set up by parties that have information from sources we have come to accept as part of everyday lives of convenience. Lawn/landscaping crews where released crooks can find work and where gang members and illegal aliens work are passing info to family members who are dirt bags or using the info themselves. Lock your damned doors and close your garage doors especially if you are at home alone. One thing about knives is that they never run out of ammunition so stick one in your pocket by the supplied clip. Stay alert stay alive. Watch for transient traffic in your neighborhood and if you don't personally know any contractor or their references don't leave them alone in your home or on your property. It is not rude. Never let a contractor or lawn crew work on your property or in your house when you ain't there. Hide a key? Don't be a fool. Hard facts folks.

5. One more. "What are your favorite brands of guns Eddie?" Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Remington shotguns, Springfield Armory, and no preferences for rifles they're all pretty much the same let me not forget Ruger firearms. All these products are my favorites.

 Man I'm gettin tired so I'm gonna bail off here. I'll get the rest of the questions next time.  

Stay safe and happy,  Your Instructor... Eddie

PS: Personal Defense tv is run on Mondays at 9:30 pm, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment