Thursday, November 5, 2009

O.K. From The Instructor... Answers to Questions

Got a few very good questions about the tips I sent out and a couple of ther points I did not think of so here goes.

First off. I have been instructing firearms usage since the 1970's and I still don't know everything there is to know about the subject but what I do know I willingly impart to my trainees as what I consider part of teaching a life saving skill.

To the trainees who asked about "push off" just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My recent recertification at DPS in Austin started at the range and as we were at the first stage of revolver qualification at the 3yd. line a female instructor two positions to my right had her Smith & Wesson Model 686 (six shot, .357 magnum revolver) checked by the Trooper assigned to function check her weapon. The Trooper picked it up checked for unloaded condition, closed the cylinder cocked the hammer and pushed on the hammer with the fleshy part of his hand and to the amazement of those who have never seen it before.....The hammer fell forward to her astonishment.

Now she is an instructor mind you. "PUSH OFF"
It's her responsibility to know handgun function at the very least.

PUSH OFF and how to check for it    AGAIN  FINGER OFF TRIGGER

  1. AT THE RANGE muzzle pointed in a safe direction (downrange) empty your weapon and double check it for unloaded condition. (revolver-cylinder open check all chambers,  semi auto- magazine out, slide locked back check chamber and mag well)
  2. Revolvers- close empty cylinder and cock the hammer. With finger out of the trigger guard, take the fleshy part of your palm and push hard on the hammer.  Do it again. Do it again. If the hammer falls forward or moves perceptibly guess what?  PUSH OFF.
  3. Semi autos- with magazine out, drop the slide and do the same thing to the hammer on your semi auto. If it falls or moves guess what? PUSH OFF.
I covered striker fired weapons yesterday and as I said you are s.o.l.

I have seen push off on handguns and rifles most notably those with purposely lightened trigger pulls.

A trainee asked me about the practice habits with (specifically) ankle rigs. I have been at two ranges, one a local PD range where a shooter with one, kinda accidental like, shot the ground while trying to deploy his hammerless revolver, and a officer who told me "I don't practice with it cause it's just for my back up piece." Well when he tried to draw it in a hurry he gouged his calf to the point of drawing blood and then dropped the weapon on the concrete.  Get it?

Another trainee asked why you need a license to carry if you just have the weapon in your car "and that's legal because of traveling."  Wrong DUMAS. Ask any officer how he feels about that and get back to me.

Another trainee asked me about lights and lasers. OK, simply; a laser is not a sight. It is an aid to your sights. A reference point if you will and is no substitute for sight acquisition. As a matter of experience I have found that those who use lasers to aim are terrible marksmen, and are completely distracted from the threat while staring at the bouncing red dot. What do you think the bad guy's doing while you think how cool the laser looks. If you watch the dot you can't watch the threat. It is an aid.

I use my personal light/laser combo (Streamlight) on my duty weapons with the laser set about two inches right of my point of aim with my sights to AID me and it took PRACTICE.
Another trainee asked me why I joke about using a handgun to fight my way to a rifle? It's not a joke. If I know I 'm gonna be in a fight and I have my druthers, I'll have a rifle.

I love the questions because on this subject there is no such thing as a stupid question. So please keep asking. Oh BTW, the lady instructor and her revolver were removed from the line and she had to re-qualify with a borrowed revolver and failed her qualification. At least it wasn't pointed at someone when it had PUSH OFF.

STAY SAFE AND PRACTICE   Your friend and Instructor  Eddie

No comments:

Post a Comment