Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Mindset for Surviving, When ya got no choice!

A little more than a year ago, a friend of mine who is an instructor at a Police Dept. nearby, asked if I could work with an officer who was frustrating him. Actually two of them but only one is relevant to this part of our training. The gentleman who is a member of the law enforcement and related to a high ranking member of the agency he works for does not work the street. Thank  God. He stated to me that, and I quote " I'm not sure I could  shoot somebody." and he was serious. " I work in the office" Obviously the gentleman is in the wrong line of work. It's a career path to politics for him. I certainly let him know that he is in the wrong line of work and is doing a disgraceful disservice to all the communities he is supposed to serve.

Folks as CHL holders and as trainees, I know each one of you is capable of using deadly force to defend yourselves and your loved ones. You made that decision before you came to me for training. That is the first step to a "mindset" that you have. Now, that said you can't stop there. Please read this list of philosophical precepts I live by in regards to defending my world. As with everything I've taught; take what works and make it your own. Some of them are my own and the ones in quotation marks are ones I've learned from others.

Let me know what you think.

1. The rules of gun fighting are simple. Have a gun.
2. "Better yet have two."
3. Ammo is cheap. How much is your life worth?
4. "Only hits count, close doesn't."
5. If your shooting stance is good you're not moving fast enough or usin cover effectively.
6. "Move away from your attacker. Time and distance are your friends."
7. "If you know there's gonna be a gunfight and you have a choice of what to bring, bring a rifle, and invite all your friends who have rifles and all their friends with rifles."
8. " In ten years nobody will remember the gun you used , the caliber or your stance and tactics they'll only remember who lived and who didn't."
9. If you're not shooting you better be reloadin' or gettin' to cover
10. "Use a gun that works."
11. If I'm ever killed with my own gun, I'll have been beaten to death with it cause it was empty.
12. I'll never get killed for lack of shootin' back.
13. "In a gunfight always cheat, always win. There are no rules. The only unfair fight is the one you lose."
14. "Have a plan. Have a backup plan cause yer first one won't work."
15. The only visible target should be the one in your sights. Use cover. Get down.
16. Don't drop your guard even after you drop the bad guy.
17. "Watch their hands.Hands kill. In god we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see em."
18. "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you'll get." Just cause you're shootin' doesn't mean you won't get shot.
19. Your number one priority should be to be the one at home watching the news about the gunfight you were in.
20. Don't forget to duck.
21. When the shootin' stops look around. Wolves run in packs.
22. Look up, look em in the eye. Your attackers eyes won't be on the ground nor should yours be.If you look like a victim you will be a victim. If I look like a victim it's an ambush.
23. "Stay alert! Stay alive! it's as simple as that."
24. "Be ready to shoot rather than waiting to be shot."If you are looking into the belly of the beast....SHOOT HIM AGAIN.
25. "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."
26. He who hesitates........ LOSES. Hit first, hit hardest, hit decisively but ....above all ......HIT!

You must be mentally prepared all the time when you have the mindset and equipment for defending yourself. This doesn't mean to go around teeth clenched, white knuckle paranoid. Trust me you don't have to look for trouble it'll find ya.

When I went through my first phase of law enforcement training, I saw a behavioral study tape made in the penitentiary. In the video (scuze me) they interviewed a rapist/robber/multiple murderer awaiting execution. The agent asked him this question, "When do you normally look for your victims? His answer sent a chill up my spine..."Man, I'm always lookin' for victims." His last murder victims were slaughtered when he was walkin' home and he spotted an open garage door. Are y'all payin attention? As I recall he got some food and about thirty three dollars.

Remember this. Are the inmates the ones running the asylum? Ever watch the T.V. shows about maximum security prisons? Who's keepin' those people in the asylum and apart from us? A man or woman with......a gun.

Make it simple and repeat it to yourself often. "STAY ALERT! STAY ALIVE! It's as simple as that.

Your Instructor... Eddie

No comments:

Post a Comment