Thursday, April 29, 2010

PART TWO: What I Taught and Learned


Hi again everyone,

I wanted to get just a little technical about my T.C.L.E.O.S.E. Firearms Instructors course and how I learned from what I taught.

I wrote about the really fun stuff first because I know that we don’t get to do those types of training at Indoor ranges and I thought you’d enjoy reading about it. I hope you did.

As part of our certification we had to not only develop and run a course of fire of 50 rounds; we also had to submit a T.C.L.E.O.S.E. approved lesson plan and teach a classroom/lecture session related to your course of fire. The subject title of my lesson plan was “REVOLVER BASICS” (I’m sending the cover pg. with this). I chose this subject for two reasons. First, on Monday at our firearms qualification we had to fire REVOLVERS! And the comments made by 99% of my fellow Instructors in attendance were “I haven’t fired a revolver in years., and I never fired revolvers …..” Knew right then what my classroom presentation would be. Secondly, I instruct novice or beginner defensive shooters in CHL Class 100% of the time and class make up, and in security 99% of the time. My training of Police is always remedial so the officer(s) can pass their requalification. Let me note here that I am not criticizing or “putting down” any trainee I have put through CHL class. As you know I teach way beyond the State mandated 50 round proficiency testing. With me you get reloading drills, movers etc…. You are generally better “shooters” in total than street cops because you practice more and get something new every time we train together if you take advantage of it when I go to my sessions at the range. Simply being either a hunter or owning the latest polymer “XYZ”  or most expensive 1911 does NOT mean anything. “Ownership does not equate to competency.” (Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch). Anyone can stand in front of a paper target, square up, and fire one hole groups. ANYONE. No one can do that on the move when the bullets are coming the other way and the target is moving (Ya know the part where I reach around you and run your target at you while you fire deal?????). Just a fact. I can’t do it. I can however hit a target with a killing shot on the move and when the target moves, and the guys I trained with all can too. You may have a gun but that don’t mean you know how to use it.

In researching and developing my lesson plan, I had one of those what I call “light dawns on Marble head” moments. I realized that in terms of cartridges/bullets read caliber, semi auto pistols move in reverse while revolvers move forward. Let me illustrate:

•    The .357 Smith & Wesson magnum is a .38 Special with added length/space to the cartridge. (Revolver.)
•    The .40 S&W (the most common Police caliber and close in civilian use) is a shortened 10mm.
•    The .357 SIG is a .40 S&W whose neck has been reduced to hold a .357/.38 diameter bullet.
•    The  .44 Remington Magnum is a .44 S&W Special with added length/space to the cartridge.
•    The .45 ACP ( Automatic Colt Pistol) is a shortened rimless .45 Long Colt.
•    The .45 G.A.P. (Glock Auto Pistol) is a shortened and widened slightly .45 ACP.

Do you see where this is going here.?

In my opening of my presentation I asked if anyone of my fellow Instructors  included revolver training in their training protocol and if not; WHY? ( MANY OFFICERS CARRY REVOLVERS AS BACK UP GUNS)
 
I also pointed out that the #1 selling firearm type in the US right now is REVOLVERS! The Taurus Judge, and Ruger LCR are at the top of the list, and small 5 shot .38s are huge sellers. (S.H.O.T.SHOW , and Natl. Firearms Retailers Assoc. polls). Taurus has added several 2” barrel models to the Judge line including (as I said before) a polymer framed version as well as new polymer framed revolvers to their revolver lineup. S&W has a polymer frame revolver coming and has spent millions in retooling to bring back what is now called their “Classic Series” of discontinued revolver models. I guess there’s a demand huh?

In my T.C.L.E.O.S.E. class only two of us came to qualification with our own revolvers  (although at 25 yd. start distance I opted to use the College supplied 4” S&W 586….my eyes!!!), I brought my trusty old S&W Model 19 .357 Mag. With 2 ½” barrel and Deputy Littlefield brought his S&W Model 27 .357 Mag. With 5” barrel.

I asked if anyone felt “LESS” armed with a revolver. If they did I pointed out that they might Google Jerry Miculek or check out the History Channel program Extreme Marksman and watch him not only place six rounds on target, reload six and place them on target in under 3 second but then do it BLINDFOLDED!!!!!  NO BULL! (Check him out “machine gunning” the S&W 1911 with two finger triggering it’s phenomenal.) He is not only a Team Smith & Wesson shooter but is also a 3 Gun champion and the world Champion revolver shooter as well as being in the Guinness Book. Guess What?
He’s also a POLICE OFFICER/DEPUTY IN LOUISIANA!?

All of what I am saying here equates to your need and responsibility to practice and do it smart. Let me know what YOU think.

Eddie OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment