Thursday, April 15, 2010

Student Questions - Bill Diehl

RECENT QUESTIONS FROM BILL DIEHL

QUESTION 1: What is the best home defense weapon?

ANSWER 1:
I believe that for the minimally trained family members the pump shotgun (tactical or deer slug type minus chokes) in 12, 20, & 410 gauge are the best overall home defense weapons. An attached flashlight should be a mandatory accessory and if all else fails you can tape it to the side of the receiver or the barrel (rails are available on most tacticals). If you prefer a handgun, a revolver is absolutely the best choice and easiest to manipulate under stress or jumping up startled from sleep. I suggest for the house a six shot .357/.38 or .44 mag/.44 special with speed loaders in reserve. All members of your family could use these even if they had no training at all. Revolvers are what we instructors call the original "point and click" device for self defense.

QUESTION 2: Where should you keep it and how should you keep?

ANSWER 2:
Keep it wherever you feel "comforted" by it. I like it under the pillow when I sleep. I have built "hides" in my home for daytime access but don't forget to secure them if you leave. An empty gun is useless in a gunfight soooooo.....keep it loaded.

QUESTION 3: The gun locks so the gun can’t be fired. I have two teenagers (boy & girl) they have been firing all types of guns (pistols semi auto & revolvers, shot guns all kinds single pump and semi auto, rifles of all kinds ) they started shooting by the age of 6 years. When can I take the locks off? 

ANSWER 3:
You trained your kids like I did mine. Good for you. Everyone should do that. Now, an old Master Sergeant told me long ago that " If you trust your kids to cook your food and handle your money, you can trust they'll handle the sh*t when the Devil knocks." I haven't quite gotten comfortable with the latter part of that quote but I have no problem eating their cooking and if hurt I would hand them my weapon with complete confidence. It's your home and family, and your trust factor should be based upon your trust because the "State" trusts NO ONE! ask Obama. That's your call but having a plan that includes the entire family is your best defense. Your brain is your best weapon (see question 1) The statute in Texas is clear about making weapons accessible to a child but the "statute" lives in a book not in your house.

I have a drawer full of gun locks. I have exactly "0" on any gun I own. If my very young grandchildren are here I have a safe where they stay (last number ready to dial) until they leave or I need them.

Bill, I hope these answers help, thanks for you input. 

Your Instructor... Eddie

No comments:

Post a Comment