Monday, April 26, 2010

My Instructor Training - Step by Btep

Wow! What a week I had. First, let me send thanks to my trainees and friends that sent me the great questions. I hope my answers were clear for you.


The training cadre’ at College of the Mainland Law Enforcement Training Center was very supportive and complimentary. Here too, let me strongly advocate and suggest that you go on the College web site (com.edu) and check out under the Continuing Education section; the firearms training that they offer not only to Law Enforcement but to civilians as well. Matter of fact folks you’d be crazy not to go over there and take one of the basic firearms courses. They offer beginner, intermediate, and advanced handgun training for civilians. It would cost you in the thousands to travel to a training facility like Thunder Ranch, or Gunsite or The Sig Academy and the college is within driving distance of every one of my trainees and it costs in the hundreds (and I mean like under $400. Range). Lem Powell, Nick Rack, Bob Williamson are the most laid back and knowledgeable group of Instructors you could hope for. It is why I keep going back for their training for myself. Your tuition includes all ammo, targets, and weapon if you need one, and the Instructors are very good and make you feel totally at ease. I will train under these folks any time and save a bunch doing it. They also on occasion put on armorers schools from Glock, Remington and others. I strongly advise urge and hell, plain tell y’all get down there and get some training from the College of the Mainland Firearms Training group. They are so good it would be a shame to pass by something within our area because of any cross town driving distance or time spent. Do it! Ladies these guys will really help because you won’t be intimidated by a drill instructor or cop or know it all attitudes. Ya know, go there come on back to me and we’ll work on what you pick up from them. I am by no means the end all of firearms training and wouldn’t be put off if you got training from anyone of the College’s staffs caliber.

My T.C.L.E.O.S.E. Police /PSB Firearms Instructor Course (Range portion) was from last Monday through Friday. By my count we fired:

Monday:
  • Semi auto pistol 50 rounds at 25-15-7-3 yards minimum score 90%.
  • Revolver 50 rounds same distances minimum score 90%
  • Pump Shotgun 5 slugs at 25 yards, 3 buckshot at 15 yards and 2 buckshot at 10 yards

110 rounds total, all timed drawing from holster, low ready, strong hand and weak hand on B27 targets.
Eleven of us started the class and at the end of the qualification shooting 2 were sent home for failure to qualify. I didn’t have to re-shoot any portion of the qualification others did (you were given 2 chances).
 
I scored 237 Pistol (possible 250) 243 Revolver and 98% Shotgun. I fired my 1911 45 ACP, from my Blackhawk Serpa holster and double magazine pouch with 3 magazines (8rd) and I used the College’s 4” S&W fixed sight 586 .357 Mag. Revolver and Remington 870 shotgun. The school Instructors did all scoring and all ammo was provided. Needless to say……I passed. (It’s pass /fail but they scored numerically).

Tuesday: In the afternoon after the morning classroom session, we went to the range for speed and accuracy drills on the “Dueling Tree”. This is a steel post that stands 7’ with 6 circular steel plates 6” in diameter. The plates are arrayed so that there are 3 on each opposing side. We loaded 6 rounds each in 2 mags and stepped up to the line two shooters at a time (at 15 ft.). On command we draw shoot our 3 plates which flip over to the opposite side and then we shoot the other shooters targets back to his side and whoever does that first wins, (reload included till both mags empty ). I SMOKED IT!!!!!!  I even had a Galveston County S.O. Instructor request to shoot against me on my last relay and all he could do was tie me. That was soooooooooooooo cool! Once again I used my 1911 .45ACP.
50 rounds total.

Wednesday: was all classroom with instructional methodology, case law of Failure to Train Lawsuits that have effected Law Enforcement training , and physiology of the eye in regard to low light shooting and adaptation. Fascinating and thorough.
Thurs.:  was at the range for range development, course of fire development, environment, lead dust and health hazards and liability, and preparation of our lesson plans. We took a break and then shot a course of more speed and accuracy drills on 4 and 5 scoring rings targets where we had to on command shoot the scoring rings in the order we were given and from the holster timed. Strong and weak handed with reloads.  Again, 50 rounds total and this time I used my Springfield XD Tactical .45 ACP from my Safariland duty rig. It was for training only so no scores were taken and everyone shot on an even basis. Then back to the Range classroom and presentations went till the end of the day. I didn’t get to do mine till …….

Friday: I was the last to give a presentation. I learned from observing all the others and from the total class de-briefs after each one before me. Everything in the total class debriefings (including the evaluation comments of our Instructors) was extremely supportive and helpful. Zero criticism and negativity. All constructive helpful and appreciated by the presenters. I made a presentation on revolvers. Went great, great feedback from my peers and the Instructors. As a matter of fact, Sgt. Greg White Training Sergeant for Galveston County S.O. was so impressed he has invited me to come to their training range and teach a revolver course to their deputies. Cool. Then we shot all the courses of fire that we had to design for our certification. 8 courses of fire 50 rounds each and we had to run the line while being observed by our Instructors and evaluated on the sheet and signing off after complete class debrief again. Of course, I gave a revolver course of fire but I’m going to detail the one that was the most fun and most challenging for all of us.

The course of fire was designed and put on by Officer Tommy Maffei of the Galveston P.D., S.W.A.T team. It is what is called a tactical course of fire but it was designed (as were all) to follow his classroom lecture/presentation  which was how your skill levels are affected as your heart rate increases under the threat and stress of a violent confrontation, and how they can deteriorate in that scenario.
 
The range at College of the Mainland has 10 lanes at the far end that are stationary targets and you move backward or forward to the marked distances of the range which are from 25 yards all the way down to 1 yard. Officer Maffei set up the College Patrol Car simulator at approx. 35 yards center of the range. We each loaded 3 mags with 10, 12, and 9 rounds and gave them to him. His course was, when you indicated you were ready, he had you sit in the simulator with loaded holstered weapon with 10 rounds in the weapon. On his command (a beep) you exited the patrol vehicle , did 10 pushups, 10 jumping jacks, ran the full length of the range, touched the first target with your hand, ran back to the patrol car and touched it and ran to the left side (#1) 25 yard position where the first target was set up. You placed your hand on the upper left corner of the target and when he yelled “GUN! GUN!”, YOU DRAW AND FIRE TWO ROUNDS AT CONTACT DISTANCE AFTER MOVING YOUR OTHER HAND TO YOUR CHEST!  (He had his hand ready to block any ones arm that came out with the weapon if the other hand was anywhere other than on your body or still on the target). You then moved five paces to the right where you fired 4 rounds around the right side of a barricade at the 20 yd. line and four rounds around the left side. Now you’re empty and you reload with the 12 round magazine while behind the barricade and you then move forward through a corridor and doorway simulator to engage a man with a gun with 6 rounds at the 10 yard line while moving forward and then over to your right again and engage the “Dueling Tree with 6 rounds from behind a curb, reload with nine rounds on the move to the 3 yard line where from behind a barricade you engage 3 circles in a horizontal line  on a target that represent hostage takers with 3 rounds each. You’re empty now and you show clear and reholster your weapon.  He allowed 130 seconds for the entire tactical course and I did it in 98.75 seconds (rounds on all targets no numeric score) THAT WAS A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! And your skill level obviously is challenged cause you are pumpin! Kudos to Officer Maffei and a well thought out and set up and executed course of fire. Every Instructor that fired it loved it.

Officer Maffei allowed no one other that himself, the shooter and the Class Instructors on the range at one time. All the rest of us stood in the classroom portion of the range and observed through the glass. Again I used the Springfield XD and my duty rig.

Total rounds for Friday fired were just under 400 rounds. All the ammo supplied by the College.
Approximate total number of rounds fired for the course:    650 TO 700 ROUNDS!!!! (Per shooter).
THAT WAS SOOOOOOOOO DAMN MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!
 
After a break for chill period we had a little graduation where we got our Training Completion Certificates and were dismissed.  All nine of us graduated and the Instructors went out of their way to tell us that we were by far the best group of Instructors, most knowledgeable and proficient shooters the College had ever run through the Training Course.

NOW. WHY DO I TRAIN?    

FOR YOU!

IF I DON’T LEARN I SHOULDN’T TEACH AND HOW CAN I TEACH YOU AND GIVE YOU YOUR BEST CHANCE FOR SURVIVAL IF I DON’T LEARN MYSELF?

AND TO TRAIN WITH A GROUP OF PROFESSIONALS LIKE THAT? …………..NO BRAINER.

P.S.  Oh yeah…..I learned I need to practice my barricade shooting.  It was my weakest skill and I will work on it for sure.

P.PS. Officer Maffei has volunteered to come and teach you a Low Light course of fire that he has as did his partner Officer Mach (S.W.A.T.-GPD) IT WILL HAPPEN ASAP!!!!!!

EDDIE          OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment