Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Memorial Day Thank You...

A wise person (at that particular moment) said to me "This makes up for all those other Memorial Days." It was Memorial Day exactly seven years ago and I was holding my granddaughter Cadence D. Steeves aka Cadee who had been born that very Memorial Day morning delivered by her uncle Sean who would from that day forth never have to prove his courage to his father.

You thank us all the time now and that is a good thing as we all thank those who stand a post now watching over us. I think of a 20  yr. old kid from Lafayette Louisiana who couldn't wait to get home and marry his "Guhl" and drive his Roadrunner again but got zapped in an ambush in a place called "the Parrots Beak' up near the Laotian border for nothing in particular. Coon Ass Kuner just wanted to go home and play his Hank Williams records and drink some cold Pearl beer. For Miller, David L. Spec. 4 who never got off the Bien Hoa Base cause a sniper caught him on the way to chow. Man he couldn't wait to get after the sh*t and he never got to it. I wonder if that sniper was aimin at him or me. For Reese the mortarman, for Fitts the door gunner who said "the angels are gonna get you out" for a list I cry cause I can't remember anymore. We want to thank, I want to thank YOU my friends, our friends who stayed here and gave us some thing, some place in the world to come back to. For being the Good Old US of A that that "Freedom Bird" took us back to. We were just a bunch of scared kids who held on to each other and a place called "The World"... HOME

I THINK IT'S TIME WE THANK YOU FOR BEING... HOME

I THANK YOU FOR THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE...  HOME

FASTMAN 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment