Friday, February 26, 2010

Range Etiquitte and more...

I have had a great couple weeks in our little community. I have enjoyed very much, getting to train with you and licensing you folks. I say again that my group of CHL trainees is one of the most intelligent and conscientious groups of shooting sports enthusiasts I’ve been privileged to know, serve and train.

I learn all the time by constantly noting your comments and my own personal after action reviews of myself. I will say here again please let me know what I could do better and what you would like to see me do or set up for your further training as your instructor. I really welcome the input.

I hope everyone goes to the website and signs up and shoots me questions and comments about your experiences as my trainees. I get a lot from plain email but I want y’all to communicate back and forth also, and I think Bill has set that up in the web site. As you all well know I am not the “computer guy” and I am at your mercy there.

I want to touch on a subject that as yet I’ve missed. Range “ETIQUETTE”, a place I see some mistakes being made that may lead to safety violations and dangerous possibly deadly consequences.
You as my trainees know that the majority of my range work is done at Marksman Indoor Range in South Houston and some at Champions in Humble and outdoor work at Reevis’ Range in Hardin.

I am going to get a membership at Bayou Rifle Range soon and start conducting all my training outdoors unless weather forces me indoors. I will have the calendar of my sessions up in the next month as my current duty and training schedule allows me time for this mystery box. If the planets align and the right opportunity comes up I may try to actually open a training facility with small outdoor range in the next year. I’ll keep ya posted.

Range “etiquette”. I have noticed that Marksman is getting so busy that they are floating their hours and opening earlier than posted and the lanes fill up immediately resulting in not only a LIST AND WAITING TIMES... BUT...  A HUGE SURGE IN UNSAFE FIREARMS HANDLING ON AND OFF THE FIRING LINE!!!!

I have filed complaints with the Department about Marksman before over safety violations and no supervision, and shrapnel hazards. (I got hit with some this past weekend).  I think I’m gonna request another safety visit since they are just making money which is why they’re in business but in the rush to get as many range fees as possible they are creating a few hazards.

My trainees and friends are victims of this behavior as well so it’s not a criticism when I point out what we are doing wrong in terms of range “etiquette.”




 When you enter a range and this includes them all you must NOT! enter with a loaded weapon, in a range bag. An unloaded chamber in a semi auto with a loaded magazine is a LOADED FIREARM! Paw Paw sent his side by side shotgun for son to shoot with 2 rounds up the spout, and his pump fully loaded. No good.

  1. Range etiquette: No loaded guns through the front door, or off the firing line.
  2. Range etiquette: All ranges have “range rules” posted. READ THEM upon entering.
  3. Range etiquette: On the firing line DO NOT hand firearms from one firing lane to another.
  4. Range etiquette: DO NOT fire as fast as you can. Indoors this creates shrapnel hazard to everybody including you.
  5. Range etiquette: don’t clean your firearms at a ranges lobby table
  6. Range etiquette: put your weapon away while you are on the firing line. Do not handle it in lobby areas or at tables. PUT IT AWAY AND LEAVE IT AWAY TILL YOU GET HOME.
  7. Range etiquette: If a child is observing on the firing line, always know where that child is in relation to your firing lane. If the child tries to observe you out of curiosity (and they will), make sure you show a little courtesy and don’t blast away with your high powered ammo nor 00 buck shot, take a time out and don’t scare folks.
  8. Watch other shooters and where their weapons muzzle is pointed. I see people doing “muzzle sweep” all the time. I’ve seen some of y’all do it too.  Look folks, if you point your weapon at the dividing walls on either side of your shooting lane to either clear a malfunction or to show your buddies something;…… you are sweeping your muzzle across the shooter in the next lane. Rule #3 always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Each side of your lane is NOT  that safe direction. Quit doing that. I see it a lot.
  9. Range etiquette: If you know the range you are going to; call ahead and ask what their rules are in regards to ammunition restrictions. Magnum ammo some steel bird shot, armor piercing , etc. ranges vary.
  10. Be safe always. From here on I will point out violations of etiquette on the spot to all trainees.

I can’t fault ranges for making money but they should at least attempt to make minimum safety adherence  a rule not a by product. Since that is not the case we are required to do it and it is ethical, so our little group will start considering “RANGE ETIQUETTE” as part of our safety protocol. 


These are so important to me I have put these ten rules on my web site for your to refer to at any time.

I want us all to have fun and be as safe As we can guarantee ourselves at the range.

Your Instructor………..EDDIE

No comments:

Post a Comment