Monday, January 4, 2010

Crime Alert! | Shooting Skills | Gun Show

Happy New Year Everybody. I hope the holidays were blessed for all as they were for me. There are many strange things happening in the world and our area and I’m not sure where to start so I’ll just start at the beginning.

For my friends who live in Fort Bend County. Your crime rate has had an interesting last few weeks, never mind the year. Shootings at the Mall in Sugar Land and a gang fight at Fuddruckers and an attempted kidnapping and drive by shootings. Wow. Fort Bend County S.O. and Sugar Land have tracked and documented 800 new gang members operating in Fort Bend County and that’s not all of them since they have no funding to continue the federally mandated tracking and registration as of yet. Figure 800 + their friends + their friends etc. You get my drift.

Fancy upscale neighborhood malls and sweet names like Sugar Land don’t hold any different sway over criminals than the old city wards do. Predatory felons like upscale neighborhoods and they are target rich environments with all the open garage doors and large separated homes and drives. Response times are longer and people still think “it can’t happen here….” Yeah right.

In the real world the bad guys are always looking for easy victims and environments to victimize. Sugar Land and Fort Bend County have small forces with larger and larger areas and populations to patrol, and now Anise Parker of Houston will try to get the limited forces of those communities to respond to 911 calls on the outskirts of H-Town. How do ya like them apples?  If your not afraid you should be. Regardless of Ms. Parker, the turds are always looking for victims there is never a time they aren’t. You have to be prepared. Remember, Law Enforcement has NO DUTY to protect you. It is your responsibility and you should never take that responsibility lightly.  If you made a New Year’s resolution it should have contained your willingness to change the things in your daily lifestyle and home environment that make you a potential victim.

Right now in the world in general, the USA is looked at as weak because of our current leadership in Washington.  Guess what?  WE ARE! Guess what else?  The criminals at home are the first to take advantage of signs of political weakness. Our Nations self respect goes down, our crime rate goes up. Fort Bend County has always been considered as a safer area because of high population of white suburbanites in the mid and upper level income brackets and what is perceived as a somewhat exclusive neighborhood with law enforcement dedicated to each neighborhoods blah, blah, blah. Ask River Oaks or the Woodlands about that and the reality of now. Friendswood, Clear Lake, Missouri City, Stafford, take your pick. Crime doesn’t care where you live or what you think and crime does pay in “exclusive” neighborhoods. You’re not in the country> you’re on the edge of the city> Houston is expanding in all directions and proportionately so is crime. Katy is now just the West side and Sugar Land and Stafford are I the Southeast corridor> The Wooodlands is now Northside, Clear Lake, League City? Southside. The Federal government wants to strip Police departments of manpower for technology and such enlightened politicians as Ms. Parker and others put community safety and police as third and fourth priorities. Man I sure am feeling safer knowing the mayor of my city thinks so highly of my safety and HPD are as she stated in her Inaugural address as 3rd. and 4th. On her list of her priorities. Hey bad guys are you listening? I hope you know where Ms. Parker’s house is. Please visit it soon so she might shift that view on public safety a bit.

I hate to say this but, ARM YOURSELVES NOW! TAKE YOUR OWN SELF DEFENSE MORE SERIOUSLY THAN YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS DO. NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE. THE BAD GUYS DON’T CARE, THEY JUST KNOW IT’S A GOOD TIME TO BE A CROOK… WHAT GOD CAN’T PROTECT AND THE GOVERNMENT WON’T PROTECT… SMITH AND WESSON AND I WILL.


BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!

I went to the range last week with my friends and trainees Tom, Doug and his lovely wife Deborah. I noticed two things which I didn’t mention to my friends. There were lines of folks waiting to shoot. They were mostly new shooters with presents or new purchases.  Almost all had multiple firearms. I venture to guess from overheard conversation and from observing the line and the targets downrange, that 95% have had no formal training and there were shooters who were obviously “homey’s and home boys or G’s”. Beside me, 100% of the others had no purposeful practice routine. Even my friends were there to shoot all of their guns not to train. There is a difference between training and shooting. That is not a criticism, but it points out a fact. I always want to train my friends when we shoot in at least one new skill if not more, but after a while of wanting to shoot so many guns at once the practical aspect becomes negligible and you aren’t training at all you’re just shooting. I was able to train my two friends in a new and basic skill so my mission was accomplished. I’m not about to shove my methodology down y’alls throats so I want you to have fun. Remember though, shooting a lot does not make you a lot better shooter. Start getting real practice in on realistic targets. A small piece of shrapnel hit me in the forehead and it kicked in an automatic response of fear and angry concentration forcing me to shoot better and more accurately. It’s a whole different ball game when the lead comes back at you. Practice smart every once in a while. Practice with the gun you carry and what you carry it in. Quit shooting at bull’s-eye targets with your carry gun unless you are shooting it for groups. Shoot at human situation targets. If you get shot at, it won’t be by a bull’s-eye target and if it’s a person; I’m pretty sure they won’t be wearing a bull’s-eye on them anywhere. As I said, practice smart once in a while. The rest of the times have all the fun you want to have. After all, even I know it’s a sport. Oh by the way, I took the two guns I was carrying that day to practice with and no others. When we left, I was carrying them concealed, a revolver and a semi auto.

Deb has had shoulder surgery/ rotator cuff type gather. She had difficulty getting her semi auto 9mm to function in a reliable fashion as a result. It’s new, but that wasn’t the cause of its dangerous inability to function flawlessly. Since her surgery she has lost some strength and is having difficulty maintaining a firm enough grip for the firearm to recoil against. So it jammed. I watched and observed and assured her that the firearm was not at fault but I could tell she had her doubts until I took it and put two magazines of the same ammo through it with no malfunctions and so did her husband. I could sense a little discouragement and then noticed she switched to her .22. This is understandable. I was bugged by it all weekend and talked with a dear friend of mine ( an Instructor also) and he has had the same surgery as have several of the officers and detectives he has to re-qualify for his department. He and I came up with a brainstorming solution and his insight was incredibly helpful to me. We advise her to rehab her shooting skills, by not overdoing it or overstressing her physiology. Practice with the weapon she will carry and defend herself with. Until her strength is back, over grip her weapon almost too white knuckle stage so that the firearm can recoil solidly. I pointed out to her at the range that she had changed her grip and she needed to go back to what I taught her. Look folks don’t make a cup with your left hand for your right hand to sit in. It don’t work!! You grip the weapon fully seated in your strong hand to the web of the strong hand and you put the left hand in front of it resting your left hand fingers in the spaces between the knuckles of the right hand. Push hard with the right and pull slightly with the left, this is a wedge. For more stability I place my left hand index finger wrapped around the front of the trigger guard. Most semi autos have checkering there for that purpose. Like rehab, Deb should shoot more, and more productively with less rounds. 

I recommend that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, SHOULD SHE CARRY HER SEMI-AUTO UNTIL SHE REHABS HER SHOOTING SKILLS, TO DEFEND HER LIFE WITH. I recommend she carry a revolver until then and of course I will practice with her and set up a course of fire for fewer rounds using the semi-auto only until rehab is successful.
One of the firearms at our session was the Taurus PT101 .40 S&W that was bought on my recommendation at Academy. Man what a fine firearm and a sweet shooter. All for $300.00. If you missed out on that go to the Katy Freeway store and mention the ad and see if you can’t get them to sell you one for the price or close to it. I understand that store (I-10 West at Fry rd.? or Mason?) has a few. Check it out.

The best gun show of them all is at Reliant Center on January 23 & 24, The Houston Gun Collector's Association show. I never miss it and it is always a good place for a good deal. I’ll be there on the 24th if anyone wants to go. I’ll be meeting friends there so come on along.   


Your Instructor... Eddie



No comments:

Post a Comment