Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Q&A: Gun Smiths, Gun Mods and Gun Manufacturers

From your Instructor,

QUESTION:  Would you recommend any Gunsmith (s) in our area and do you have any idea what they charge for services.

ANSWER: In the Houston area I know of two. Both are highly thought of and one is world renowned. Briley is on the West side of Houston in the Gessner/Katy Freeway area. www.briley.com  (world renowned) and Vandenberg Custom Guns on Old Galveston Rd. S.Houston. I have seen and handled their work and it is first rate. I haven’t had any work done by them but I know several people and cops who have and they are totally satisfied. Price I have no idea about but like any skilled mechanic I’d bet it ain’t cheap. I personally have had work done by the manufacturers when needed and they were minor things.

QUESTION: John asked what if any modifications I have done to my personal weapons or had done?

ANSWER:  I know the gun you mean in particular and I have had a very few things done by others. My 1911 Para you ask about I had refinished by the factory and the finish upgraded because as it came from Para the original finish SUCKED! WITH A CAPITAL S.  I raised hell about it since it went to s**t after six months. It cost me $109.00 and shipping  and I’ll never buy or recommend another Para product again. I kept the gun and have added a Wilson mag well ($21.) and some 3M bathtub/pool traction tape (black) to the front strap of it at a cost of about a dollar. I have this tape on all my weapons on the front strap and front of the trigger guard. It keeps it from moving in my hand especially when it’s hot. You buy it in packs and cut the pieces to size so that it will fit under the grips. Take the grips off cut the pieces stick em on put the grips back on. Simple as that Nite Sites are my Christmas present to me this year as it is the only weapon I have without them. I’m gonna go with XS Sights Big Dot front Nite Sight and Novak rear and that’s it. Night sites can be had usually on the spot or same day at Pro Defense in Webster/League City (shopping ctr I-45 S ) by Hooters and Burlington Coat Factory. I don’t count magazines because I won’t have any less than 4 for any weapon I own.

About manufacturers…  I have dealt with Smith & Wesson. Beretta, Taurus (for a trainee), Ruger and Sig Sauer. All had excellent customer service and though I was willning to and expected to pay for what I needed/wanted not one of these companies charged me a cent.

Most recently, last year I sent my most carried Sig P220 back because it rusted on the slide after a weeks worth of carry in the very hot humid summer here in ’08. I asked and as stated fully expected to pay for refinishing and a basic refurb. I was told I would have to pay approx. $149. and change but to my delight it was returned to me refinished and refurbished along with the replaced parts and  an invoice for $0.00. True story and with the major manufacturers I named that has been their standard way of treating their customers. Para Ordnance on the other hand were rude and said I had abused the weapon which as anyone who knows me can attest to is a complete lie. It had been in the holster or safe most of its time and only on the range never on duty, never dropped, never anything. Yet after only six months after purchasing it new the finish had worn off in four different places. Calling them got nothing but attitude after I called several times just to make contact and discuss the problem and get a ra#.  I was told that the finish is sprayed on not blued which is a chemical process and if I wanted it blued I’d have to pay. If I wanted it re sprayed I’d have to pay but less. I guess since they are a Canadian firm they don’t feel that customer service is a priority never mind just answering the phone or returning a call. That is why I don’t recommend Para products.

I hope y’all checked out the Taurus on sale at Academy (the Beretta styled .40 S&W} for $299.00

Tis the season...

Your Instructor      Eddie

No comments:

Post a Comment